How to implement Manifest Personalization
This functionality lets you enhance your end users' viewing experience by individualizing video quality to their device's capabilities.
You can add the Manifest Personalization behavior to a rule in your AMD configuration. When a request is sent to your hostname that matches the criteria set for this rule, the settings you've defined for Manifest Personalization are used to generate a manifest "on-the-fly." This manifest determines the appropriate video quality content for the requesting device.
Manifest Personalization offers the following benefits:
- You can implement Preferred Bitrate and Bitrate Filtering. These allow you to maintain quality and performance to deliver the most optimal playback experience for each end user.
- You can offload the master manifest file manipulation. This lets you target unique device profiles and geographic/network characteristics.
- You can reduce the associated computation and storage overhead on your origin.
What video formats are supported?
Currently, Manifest Personalization is supported for use with Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) format media—both live and on-demand.
How do I get access to Manifest Personalization?
You need to have this added to your contract to access the appropriate behavior in Property Manager. Contact your Account Representative to add this functionality.
Add Manifest Personalization and set the Match Criteria
Once it's on your contract, you can add Manifest Personalization to your AMD property by performing the following:
- Create a new AMD configuration, or edit an existing one using the Property Manager in Control Center.
- In the Property Configuration Settings options, click the Add Rule button to add a new rule.
- In the Available Rules (by Category) field, input Manifest Personalization to filter the listed rules, and select it from the list.
- By default, the (match) Criteria
is set to various common file names that represent HLS Master Manifest files.
You can add or remove filenames as necessary.Important: You can also use wildcard characters for manifest filenames (for example, "master-*.m3u8"). However, ensure that your master manifest naming convention does not overlap with your media playlists and segments.
- The new rule is added to your configuration. Set the Enable Manifest Personalization switch to "On."
- Set the Enable HLS Manifest Personalization switch to "On."
Once enabled, you need to select the appropriate Mode to configure Manifest Personalization, and you can optionally apply other available settings.