Optimize delivery using different client characteristics
In this simple scenario, we want to apply different Client Characteristics for Video on Demand (VoD) requests, based on the Client IP associated with the request.
We'll be fielding requests to a single Property hostname, "baseball-highlights-media.com" for the VoD content. Several CIDR blocks will be called out to use specific Client Characteristics, while requests from all other client IPs will use what's set in the Default Rule.
For ease of use in this scenario, NetStorage is used as the origin for all requests.
Phase 1: Create the Property hostname
We need a new AMD property with one Property hostname for distribution of content, and we'll be delivering the content via HTTP.
The steps that follow outline what you need to do to create the Property hostname for this use case.
Phase 2: Add a new rule for specific Client IP requests
For certain requesting clients, we want to ensure delivery is quicker. So, we're incorporating this rule to target requests from various CIDR blocks to use specific Client Characteristics behavior settings.
- In the Property Configuration Settings click Add Rule.
- Ensure Blank Rule Template is selected (default) and click Insert Rule.
- Click the gear icon in the New Rule and select Edit Name. Input a desired name (for example, "VoD Delivery Client IPs") and press Enter.
- Click Add
Match and set the fields as follows:
- Client IP
- is one of
- Select Items. Click this field and input a range of CIDR blocks that represent IP addresses in the desired geographic location.
- Click Add Behavior.
- Type "client" in
the Search available behaviors field to filter results,
select Client Characteristics, and click
Insert Behavior. For this example,
we'll set the options in this behavior to optimize delivery
of lower-resolution content as follows:
- Client Location: Select the geographic region that best represents the CIDR blocks you set for the match criteria.
Phase 3: Configure the Default Rule
Now, you configure the Default Rule to handle all other requests, as well as settings you want applied to all requests. (For example, we'll configure "NetStorage" as the Origin Server for all requests here.) Access it and set the use case-based behaviors here as follows.
|Origin Characteristics||Set the following options:
|Segmented Media Delivery Mode||Set the following options:
Set these options to best fit the VoD content you're delivering to your end users, to optimize its delivery. See Content Characteristics and AMD for complete details on this on this behavior.
|Client Characteristics||Set the following options:
What happens next?
Once live in production, request logic for your content works as follows:
- A request to "http://baseball-highlights-media.com" from within a specified CIDR block. The VoD Delivery Client IPs rule exists last in the property, so it's checked first. Since the request originated from an IP address in a CIDR block named in this rule, its Client Characteristics setting is used. The Default Rule applies to all requests, so its remaining use case-based behavior settings are used.
- A request to "http://baseball-highlights-media.com" from outside the specified CIDR blocks. The Client Characteristics setting in the Default Rule is used for these requests. (And all of the remaining use case-based behavior settings are also applied.)