To add support for Breadcrumbs, you need to apply various settings in a new or existing property configuration.
You need to add the Breadcrumbs behavior to your AMD property.
- Create a new AMD property, or edit an existing one using Property Manager.
- In the Property Configuration Settings options, click Add Behavior.
- In the Search available behaviors field, input Breadcrumbs to filter the listed behaviors, and select Breadcrumbs from the list.
- The new behavior is added to your configuration. Set the Enable Breadcrumbs switch to "On."
The Opt Mode
Use the Opt Mode slider to conditionally "Opt-IN" or "Opt-OUT" of Breadcrumbs support on a per request basis.
- opt-OUT. Breadcrumbs data is included in the response. It can be skipped for a specific request if the appropriate "opt-OUT" flag is applied as a query string to the request.
- opt-IN. Breadcrumbs data is not included in the response. It will only be included if the request includes the appropriate "opt-IN" flag as a query string.
To support your selected Opt Mode setting to selectively add Breadcrumbs data to the response, you need to append the appropriate query string to each HTTP(S) request from your player. The table that follows shows the various scenarios that are supported.
|Query string parameter||Opt-Mode setting||Is Breadcrumbs data included in response?||Description|
||Opt-IN||Yes||With this parameter included in the request, set to
"on," the response contains Breadcrumbs data provided the
||Opt-IN||No||With this parameter included in the request, set to "off," the response will not contain Breadcrumbs data.|
|None||Opt-IN||No||If no parameter is included, the "opt-IN" method responses will not include Breadcrumbs data in all responses. (You need to include the query parameter in a request to "Opt-IN" and receive the data.)|
|Opt-OUT||Yes||If no parameter is included, the "Opt-OUT" method includes Breadcrumbs data in all responses. (You need to include the query parameter in a request to "Opt-OUT" of receiving the data.)|
Why would I "opt-IN" or "opt-OUT?"
You can simply have Breadcrumbs enabled in your property configuration and have it applied for all requests that match your rule criteria. Breadcrumbs includes a specific response header in the response to a requesting player. So, this increases the number of bytes delivered. Plus, a player just may not want (or support) the Breadcrumbs response header. So, you can still have Breadcrumbs enabled and include opt-IN or opt-OUT to let the individual players determine how to handle the responses on a per-request basis.
Are you using an XHR-based player?
If so, ensure that the "Access-Control-Expose-Headers" contains the name of the Breadcrumbs response header.
- Click the Default CORS Policy rule.
- Locate the Modify Outgoing Response Header entry with its Select Header field set to Acces-Control-Expose-Headers.
- Add a comma (,) then input "Akamai-Request-BC" to include this header.
Cache Key Query Parameters considerations
With Breadcrumbs, the player can send query parameters to control the opt-IN or opt-OUT aspects of receiving associated data in the response header. This parameter is not supported for use in the cache key. So, if you’re including the Cache Key Query Parameters behavior, ensure that opt-IN and opt-OUT are left out.