Best practices and tips
Recommendations to maximize the effectiveness of API Acceleration.
To get the most out of your API Acceleration:
- Create a separate CP code for API Acceleration traffic. If you have multiple applications and hostnames, you need to establish which CP code applies to each application. Traffic, users, and other report data are distinguished by CP code.
- Remove Headers that impact offload, for example: vary header.
- Choose an appropriate size for your SureRoute test object. For best results, use a SureRoute test object that is a similar size to uncacheable objects on your site. Learn more about SureRoute.
- Enable Tiered Distribution for cacheable and SureRoute for non-cacheable content.
- If your origin generates the same content under two different cache keys and the keys differ only in trivial dynamically generated values, you can improve offload by modifying the path and query string inputs so the edge servers can derive the same cache key in all instances.
- Check if your origin sends Age header in responses. Age header reduces the cacheability TTL set in your property configuration. Here’s a community article describing how the Age header can cause issues.
- Validate compression for Via request header. Some Origin setups are configured to send uncompressed content when an incoming request has Via header present. The edge servers send this header to the Origin, resulting in higher bytes downloaded in the first mile. Refer to this community article explaining issues that can be caused by via headers.
- Increase TTLs for DNS records for Performance. For non-cacheable content, a longer DNS TTL means that the edge servers will refresh local cache of DNS RRs less frequently. Therefore, requests won’t require a DNS fetch for the CNAME or A record in order to forward the request to the origin.
- Origin timeout should be greater than Persistent Connection timeout. For PCONNs to be effective, the origin timeout must be greater than the PCONN timeout. PCONN timeout is set to 300 seconds, so the origin should be 301 seconds.