Register an API
You can register an API with Akamai by entering all details manually or by importing an API definition file that contains information about your API. If you choose to import a file, you still need to enter a few API Gateway-specific parameters to complete the registration process.
- On the API Definitions page, click Register an API.
- On the Register new API page, in the API endpoint panel, in the API name field, enter a name for your API.
From the Access control group menu,
select the access control group that you want to associate with the API.
An access control group is a group of users who can view or edit an API.
If your API uses GraphQL to describe content and deliver it to clients in a structured
form, set the GraphQL API switch to
This will enable you to configure GraphQL query and body parameters and set GraphQL-specific caching instructions.
If your API uses API keys for
Akamai uses API keys for user quota and reports.Important: If you decide to use API keys for your API configuration, to make productive use of the security benefits that the keys provide, your API consumers should make only secure (HTTPS) requests to your API.
- In the API key location area, select the location for your API key.
In the location Name
field, enter a name for the API key location.
where location is either Header, Cookie, or Query parameter.
API key authentication is one of the two protection methods that API Gateway provides. You can also use JSON web tokens to improve security. To optimize the performance of your system, it’s best to implement one protection method per API configuration.
- Optional: In the Description field, enter a description for your API.
- Optional: In the Categories field, enter or select categories to serve as API filters on the main page.
- If your API uses versioning, follow Enter API version details.
Follow one of these steps:
If... Then... If you want to import API endpoint and resource information from an API definition file, then go through API definition file import. If you want to enter API endpoint and resource information manually, then do these steps:
- Click Save.