Activate an API configuration version
You must activate the API configuration version that you set up in API Definitions to make your endpoint, resource, and delivery configurations effective. You can activate the API configuration version in the staging or production environment. The staging environment lets you test your API settings without impact to the production network. The production environment is where your real API traffic flows.
Before you begin
Ensure that you are aware of the following possible implications of activating an API configuration version:
- If another version of the API configuration is already active on the specified network, that version becomes automatically deactivated and the newly activated version takes its place.
- If an active version of another API configuration has the same API URLs (base path + hostname) as the version you activate, the system automatically deactivates the version with conflicting URLs, creates a new version within the impacted API configuration, migrates the non-conflicting hostnames and other API details to the new version, and activates the new version.
- On the API Definitions page, in the Registered APIs section, click the ellipsis icon () associated with the API whose configuration version you want to activate.
- From the menu, select Activate API.
- In the Activate API window, from the Activate version menu, select the API configuration version that you want to activate.
In the Activate API version on area,
select the network where you want to activate the API.
Tip: To ensure that your settings work as expected, first activate the API configuration version in the staging environment and test the configuration before activating in the production environment.
In the Notes field, enter additional
information about the activation.
You can use this field to document changes for future reference.
- Optional: In the Notification emails field, select or enter at least one email address to receive a notification when the API configuration version becomes active.
Ensure that the property associated with
your API configuration is active on the selected network. Click Check property’s
If at least one property associated with your API configuration is inactive on the selected network, the traffic will not flow on that network after you activate the API configuration version. For guidance on activating properties, see either Activate API Gateway in the staging environment or Activate API Gateway in the production environment.
The activation of the API configuration version starts and should take approximately 20 minutes for the staging, and 30 minutes for the production network. You can track progress by monitoring the pending icon () next to the affected API configuration version. When the process completes, a success message appears at the top of the page and the activated icon () replaces the pending icon ().