Enable on demand video in your base config.
To start, two specific options must be enabled in your ACE base configuration, and you need to perform some additional tasks.
Apply settings in the Subcustomer Enablement behavior
Just like any instance of ACE, you need a base configuration to define feature and support permissions for all subcustomers. To support on demand streaming video, enable these option in the Subcustomer Enablement behavior.
- Dynamic Policy: This switch needs to be set to On. This allows interaction with policies for subcustomers that have been registered with this base configuration. (This must be enabled to modify or create a delivery policy to support streaming video.)
- Streaming Video On-demand Delivery: This switch must be set to "On" to allow configuration of on demand streaming video in a subcustomer delivery policy. (This is "On" by default.)
There are other optional settings
You can add a separate behavior to configure various optimizations for on demand video delivery. These settings are applied by default to all subcustomers that are registered with this base configuration. (You can override these settings on a per-subcustomer basis, by applying the appropriate settings in a delivery policy via the ACE API.)
the "Content Characteristics - Streaming Video
On-demand" behavior. You need to add this
behavior to the same
rule that contains the Sub-Customer Enablement behavior:
- Click Add Behavior.
- In the Search available behaviors field, input "Content" and select the Content Characteristics - Streaming Video On-demand behavior from the list.
- Click Insert Behavior.
- Set the options in the behavior to define various optimizations for streaming on-demand video delivery. (Mouse-over each option for a detailed description.)
- If you want to offer support for a specific media format (HLS, HDS, DASH, or Smooth) for your subcustomers, its Enable <Media format> slider must be set to "Yes." These all default to "Yes." So, if you left this behavior out of your base configuration, all of these formats default to enabled.
- If you're unsure of what to set for a specific option, leave it set to "Unknown."
You need to register subcustomers
To offer a subcustomer access to this support, it must be registered with the base configuration that has the appropriate Subcustomer Enablement behavior options applied.
- This is a new subcustomer. This is no different than registering a subcustomer with any other ACE base configuration—you use the "Add a new subcustomer" operation via the ACE API.
already registered: You don't need to
re-register an existing subcustomer to
apply this support.
- Ensure that the base configuration that the subcustomer is associated with has the appropriate Subcustomer Enablement options applied.
- Update the existing delivery policy settings for that subcustomer to apply the settings covered in this document.