In the Central list, select Monitoring
Click the New Monitoring Server Group
Monitoring Server / Monitor wizard appears.
- Select Monitoring Server Group and click Next. The Name and Connection step is shown.
Type a name for the Monitoring Server
and optionally provide a description. Finally type the hostname or IP address of the
server into the Host field and click Next.
The Resources step is shown. Check
"Databases" and click Next.The Hosts/Device Agents screen
appears.Note: Note: The host(s) or
device agent(s) configured here should be the server(s) running PostgreSQL.
Select PostgreSQL, then enter the TCP/IP
port number, the user name, and password. The usual port number for PostgreSQL is 5432. If
a catalog name is in use, add it as well.
Click the Test Connection button to test
the connection. If the connection is successful, you will see a pop-up containing some
information about the PostgreSQL server. If the connection fails, you will see an error
message explaining what went wrong.
- Click Next.
Review the information to be sure it is
correct, then check the "Create a new Monitor for this Monitor Server" box and click
Enter a name for the Monitor and an
optional description, then click Next.
- Now, choose the statistics you want to monitor. For each statistic, you can choose a "sample rate" that determines how often that statistic will be collected.
- The "Commits" statistic tracks the number of database commits per second.
- The "Rollbacks" statistic tracks the number of database rollbacks per second.
- The "Total Connections" statistic tracks the number of users connected to the PostgreSQL server. This will never be zero, because monitoring itself uses at least one connection.
- The "Per Catalog Connections" statistic tracks the number of users connected to a specific PostgreSQL database. If you use this statistic, you must enter the name of the database in the "Arguments" column.
What you should see
Note: Use the Name (Optional) column to give the metric a user-friendly label that will be used in the widget's title bar whenever this metric appears on a dashboard.
When you are finished, click Next.
Review the information to be sure it is correct, then click Finish.