Create a New Target
Target creation for mobile apps and WebUI targets occurs automatically, on-the-fly as part of test clip creation. Target creation for HTTP(S) clips also occurs automatically as part of conversion from recording to clip. For all types, the underlying targets can be created manually and are always accessible when creating or modifying system or custom properties. If you're not sure what the target in use is, check the Clip Editor, Included Targets list in the lower panel.
- Select Targets in the Central list and then click New. If a different node is selected in the Central list, click the drop-down on the New button and then select New Target.
- The Target Editor appears with the Target Definition Wizard, Select Target Type page active. Use this wizard to select from among the possible types of targets to define.
What you should see
- To create an HTTP(S) target, choose HTTP and click Next. Define the HTTP Target appears.
Choose HTTP to test a web site at the message level. For HTTP targets intended to test load on servers, you can automatically create the target and clips using the Recorder.
For HTTP you will be asked to enter a target name, location, and any associated authentication information. Use this option for HTTPS targets as well. Note that this target can be automatically created when an HTTP(S) recording is created via the Convert Recording to Clip Wizard.
If the target requires NTLM authentication, use the following syntax:
is the Windows realm and
is the actual user name. Authentication settings can be added or updated in an existing target using the Target Editor, General tab, Authentication fields.
- To create a WSDL target, choose SOAP with a WSDL URL and click Next. Choose this option if you have a web service that uses a WSDL URL. Define the WSDL Target appears. You will need the WSDL URL (or the equivalent code) to define the SOAP WSDL target. You will also need valid credentials to connect to that service.
Use this option if you have a web service that uses a WSDL URL.
For WSDL you will be asked to enter a target name, WSDL URL, and any associated authentication information.
- To create a WebUI / Ajax target, choose WebUI/ Ajax and click Next. Define the WebUI / Ajax Target appears.
Choose WebUI / Ajax if you have a web site user interface to test. Note that this target can be automatically created in the Clip Editor.
For WebUI/Ajax, you will be asked to enter a target name and location.
- To create a Native / Mobile App target, choose Native/Mobile App and click Next. Define the Native / Mobile Target appears.
Choose Native/Mobile if you have a mobile app to test. Note that this target can be automatically created in the Clip Editor.
For Native/Mobile, you will be asked to enter a target name.
Once you have supplied the target information, click Next. A summary screen appears to display data you entered. Review this information and click Finish when you're ready.
Optionally, enter additional information about the new target in the Target Editor. For example, login information that will propagate to test clips based on this target. Click Save again if you make additional changes.
- To create a WebSocket target, choose WebSocket and click Next. Define the WebSocket Target appears.
Choose WebSocket only if you have a WebSocket interface to test. Note that this target can be automatically created in the Clip Editor by recording a site that uses the WebSocket protocol.
For WebSocket, you will be asked to enter a target name and location.