Enable logging custom parameters
You can use the Log Request Details behavior in your property configuration to include specific content in log lines generated by edge servers.
In this behavior, you can control:
- logging the value you set for the custom log field
- what cookie information is logged
- which of the following headers
are part of your logs:
Deactivate a stream associated with the property configuration that you want to update. See Activate or deactivate a stream.
Before you begin
- Use the top-right menu in the header to select the appropriate Control Center account (one with access to the applicable product).
Access Property Manager
configurations associated with the selected Control Center account. Go to
(or just enter Properties in the
The Property Groups page opens.
- Click the name of your property.
On the Property Details
page, click the version of your configuration that you want to access.
The Property Manager Editor appears.
- If your property is already active, click Edit New Version to introduce your changes.
Select or create the rule where
you want to enable the Logs Request Details behavior:
- To apply the behavior to all requests, add it in the Default Rule.
- To apply the behavior to specific hostnames in the property or specific requests, add it in a custom rule.
- In the rule, add or edit the Log Request Details behavior.
Enable the headers and specify
the custom field that you want include in your streams.
- Log Host Header. Specifies the domain name of the server for virtual hosting, and optionally the TCP port number on which the server is listening.
- Log Referer Header. Contains the address of the previous web page from which a link to the currently requested page was followed. The Referer header allows servers to identify from where people are visiting.
- Log User-Agent Header. Contains a distinctive string that allows the network protocol peers to identify the application type, operating system, software vendor, or software version of the requesting client.
- Log Accept-Language Header. Advertises which languages the client is able to understand, and which locale variant is preferred.
- In Cookie Mode, choose which cookies you want to log.
- Select Don't log any cookies to disable logging any cookies in your stream.
- Select Log all cookies to enable logging all cookies in your stream
- Select Log some cookies to specify which cookies to log in your stream. This option reveals the Cookies field where you can specify the cookie format that you can capture, either sessionid or user_local. You can also click the field and manually input the name of an applicable cookie format you want to use.
Switch Include Custom Log
Field to On. This
option reveals the Custom Log
Field where you can specify an additional data field to
append to each log line.
This field supports variables. See Variable Support. Note that the system shortens the value from the Custom Log Field to no more than 40 bytes of data.
Once you’ve made your changes, activate your property in the production environment.