How to add Use Case-based Edge Mapping
Use Case-based Edge Mapping (UCEM) lets you apply a specific use case to a property hostname to aid in delivering your content, using specific Akamai edge mapping.
How does it work?
When an edge hostname is generated, specific "edge maps" are used, based on multiple factors—some of which you define:
- Delivery network. The geographic location of your content and requesting clients.
- Product. DD in this case.
- IP version. IPv4 only, or IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual stack").
Currently, Akamai selects an edge map that is best suited to deliver your content based on how you define these settings.
UCEM offers an additional criteria. It lets you select from two separate "use cases" for your edge hostname to further define the optimal edge map. One use case for the delivery of large file content via foreground downloads, and another for standard (background) download.
How do I get UCEM?
- UCEM is automatically available for use if you've purchased the DD product.
- You need the Optimize for
Foreground Download feature added to your contract. Work with your Akamai account representative ("rep") to get it added: