Let's set up UCEM
Here we implement Use Case-based Edge Mapping (UCEM) to optimize foreground delivery of content using a single edge hostname.
Create a new edge hostname
In this example, we're using Property Manager to create a new property configuration for DD to define a new property hostname to edge hostname association ("property hostname") to enable the appropriate use case.
- Based on your desired level of delivery security, use the standard procedure ("wizard") to create an edge hostname. (In this example, we're using "test-dd.com" as the hostname.)
- When you reach the Mapping
Solution phase of the wizard, ensure Use Case is
selected and set Download Mode to FOREGROUND.Note: If you also have Edge IP Binding on your contract, it's revealed here, too. You can't use both UCEM and Edge IP Binding in the same property hostname.
- Look at your new property
hostname and verify the Use Case ("FOREGROUND") has been applied. If it has, the
edge hostname that's used by this property hostname has been set to use an
optimal edge map for foreground downloads.
The Download Mode use case vs. the Optimize for Foreground Download option
- The Download Mode edge hostname use case. This is specifically used to determine the optimized edge map to best deliver your media using the selected use case. This only applies to requests that are directed to the edge hostname applied in that specific property hostname. (For example, if you create another property hostname and don't apply the use case, requests to its edge hostname won't be optimized to a specific edge map.)
- The Optimize for Foreground Download option. This is used to apply other delivery-related optimizations for use in foreground downloads. To properly support this use case, you need to set this option to "On " to match the UCEM setting. (This option's setting must match what you've set for the UCEM—"On" for "FOREGROUND," or "Off" for "BACKGROUND"—to avoid a mismatch condition.
Once you've completed and saved the property configuration, you need to: