Require authentication to access a website
Before you begin
With the Optional mode, users can skip authentication. However, access is not guaranteed when the user skips authentication. For example, if the Social Media category is blocked to every user except for users in Group A, the users in Group A can access social media websites that are part of this category. To access a social media website, users in Group A can authenticate or skip authentication. If the user skips authentication, they are assigned the most strict policy action. In this case, the user who skipped authentication is blocked from accessing the social media website because ETP is unable to confirm that the user is part of Group A.
In the navigation menu, select
.Note: If you are trying the new Enterprise Center interface, in the navigation menu, select .
- Go to the policy where you want to enable an authentication mode.
- Click the edit icon.
- Click the Settings tab.
- In the Other Settings area, navigate to the Authentication Mode menu.
To require authentication:
- Select Require. If you want to allow users to skip authentication, select Optional. The Identity Provider menu appears.
- Select an identity provider.
Do one of the following:
- If you blocked categories in the acceptable use policy (AUP) and there are specific users or groups associated with an identity provider that you want to exempt from the block action, see Grant specific users or groups access to an AUP category.
- If you want uploads from specific users and groups to skip data loss prevention (DLP) scanning, see Assign a DLP dictionary to a policy.
- If you want to configure users and groups that can access blocked domains in a custom list, see Add a list to a policy.
- If your organization is participating in the application visibility and control beta, you can configure the users and groups that can access a web application that is otherwise blocked based on the policy configuration. For more information, see Application visibility and control and Configure application visibility and control.
- Click Save.