Create a Thumbnail Retaining the Original Aspect Ratio
Before you begin
To create a thumbnail with the same aspect ratio as your original image, locate the URL of the image for which you want to create a thumbnail. For example, if you want to create a thumbnail for the following image:
Find that the URL for the above image is:
Open the application.
- In the new Akamai Control Center UI, go to .
- In the classic Luna UI, on the Configure menu, go to Image Manager and click Policy Manager.
- Select a Contract and a Policy Set Name, then click Manage Policies.
Click Add New Policy.
The Name Your Policy window appears:
- Enter thumbnail in the Policy Name field and click OK.
Enter 80, 120, 160, and 240 in the Derivative Image Widths (pixels)
field to create the thumbnail sized image. Depending on how you created your
web site and whether it is responsive, these thumbnail images might have various sizes.
Work with your site design team to identify the standard breakpoints or use cases for
thumbnails on your site. For this example we have four breakpoints total.
Note: These breakpoints maintain the aspect ratio of the source image. You can use the Fit and Fill transformation to place an image in a frame on your site’s page with a thumbnail and the Background Color or Crop transformation. See Resize an Image to Fit in an Image Grid.
Set your Derivative Image
Quality to a setting that your business decided on. In this example you can
set Perceptual Quality to Medium High. Be
aware that setting Perceptual Quality may not be effective in this example because your
images are small.
- Save the thumbnail policy and push it to staging and production. Since the policy is new and there is no logic to call it yet, it should be safe to push to production.
There are two ways to displaycall the
thumbnail policy. The first and simplest is to append a query string parameter to the end
of the URL such as “?impolicy=thumbnail”. This would look like this:
The following image appears: