The general workflow of Edge Inserted RUM (EIR) is as follows:
- An end user requests a RUM-enabled Web page, and that page has been randomly selected to have RUM dimension and metric data collected. The page is selected based on the configured sampling rate.
- Determines whether the device supports Navigation Timing
- Collects performance data using Navigation Timing
- The browser:
- Sends or beacons, the data to an Edge Server
- Receives a 204 No Content HTTP response from the Edge Server
- The Intelligent PlatformTM processes and stores the data for visualization within the portal.
- When requested, the portal queries the back-end to get the data needed for customer reports.