Point your browser to an edge server
You can do the testing by changing the hosts file on a local computer to point your site or application hostnames to the IP address of a staging edge server associated with either the production or test hostname. The hosts file controls the DNS resolution of the browser and overrides production DNS records.
Access Property Manager
configurations associated with the selected Control Center account. Go to
(or just enter Properties in the
The Property Groups page opens.
- Click the Property Name link for your property.
- On the Property Details page, click the Version of your configuration that you want to access in Manage Versions and Activations.
On the Property Manager
Editor page, do one of the following steps:
- For a non-EIB configuration, make note of the production edge hostname in Property Hostnames.
- For an EIB configuration, make note of the test edge hostname in Property Hostnames.
Get the IP address of the
staging edge hostname:
For more information, see the Edge Staging Network (ESN) User Guide.
- Depending on your computer, perform an nslookup or dig of the production or test edge hostname.
In the response, make
note of the CNAMEd hostname for your production or test edge
For nslookup, this value is in the Name: field.e1111.x.akamaiedge.net
Edit the CNAMEd hostname
by adding the -staging.net ending.
Depending on your
computer, perform an nslookup or dig of the edited CNAMEd
The IP of the staging edge hostname appears.The above examples are only snippets of entire responses where you might find the IP address of a staging edge server.
Non-authoritative answer: Name: e1111.x.akamaiedge-staging.net Address: 192.0.2.1
- For dig:
ANSWER SECTION: iot.ota.example.akamaiedge-staging.net 21600 IN CNAME e1111.x.akamaiedge-staging.net e1111.x.akamaiedge-staging.net 20 IN A 192.0.2.1
- For nslookup:
Open your local hosts file in a
The above paths are only examples of where you might find the hosts files. For more information, see the relevant user documentation for the location of the hosts file for your operating system.
- For Windows, go to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drives\etc\hosts
- For MacOS X, go to: /etc/hosts
- For UNIX/Linux, go to: /etc/hosts
At the end of the hosts file,
add an entry for your website that includes the IP address of the staging edge
hostname and the domain of your property.
Save and close the hosts
All requests from your computer to your domain go to an edge server.