Set up a custom dimension
Filter your data on criteria that you define, such as user characteristics. For instance you can differentiate premium customers from casual visitors to make sure that your paying customers are having a good experience on your site. With custom dimensions, you can identify the data center or server that served up the page so you can easily troubleshoot performance issues if they begin to appear.
Before you begin
- Unlike metrics, dimensions are not limited to numeric and Boolean values. You can use text strings as well.
- For performance and manageability, use a small number of values per each dimension (for example, under 100 values). All values appear in the filter list on the dashboards, and it might be difficult to see a large number of values.
- Before implementing custom dimensions, contact your account team to confirm that the number of values you define will give you a satisfactory experience.
- XPath or CSS Selector
- Query Parameter
- User Agent
- In mPulse, click Central.
- In the left pane, select Apps.
- From the list, double-click your app and then click Dimensions.
Click the plus sign to add a custom
dimension and open the Dimensions dialog.
- In the Name field, give the dimension a name. It’s a good idea to add a descriptive comment that explains what the information is that you’re capturing and how you’re capturing it, or what you expect the pattern to look like.
In the Type section, select a data
- Text: Some text on a page; can be any value.
- Numeric: A count on a page such as the number of advertisements.
- Boolean: A 0 or 1 for Boolean (captured as a Numeric).
From the Value Source menu, select the
method that you want to use to define your custom dimension.
Note: For details on using these methods, see the links under Learn more.
- From the Include on menu, select which beacons you want the dimension applied to.
To set up an alias map that translates
values collected in the browser to user-friendly names that appear in the dashboards and
- Under Alias Map, click the plus sign to add an entry.
- In the Value field, enter a value collected in the browser.
- In the Alias field, enter the user-friendly name for the value.
- Click the plus sign to add another entry to the map.
- To remove an entry, click the X.
- Click OK to save your custom dimension.